Wednesday, May 15, 2019

The Frugal Packed Lunch


I've talked before on this blog about how much of my job as a housewife is to keep our food expenses the lowest I possibly can. As I was packing hubby's breakfast and lunch this afternoon (I always pack it the day before), I thought it might be fun to show you what is a typical offering. All of these dishes are homemade and so it might seem like putting together a lunch like this is a time-consuming task. But it always surprises me how a few dinners made in large amounts really feeds us several times over.



 Strawberries and a quarter cup of plain yogurt, along with a sausage breakfast casserole is for breakfast. The casserole can be reheated in his office microwave. It is a delicious combination of bread cubes, eggs, cheddar cheese, onions, green peppers and a generous sprinkling of basil. I like these kind of dishes because they are made ahead and are easily put together. In the background is salsa, which hubby always likes on his eggs. I also included two pieces of toast, buttered and jellied and wrapped face together in plastic wrap.




For lunch are fried noodles and sweet and sour chicken on rice from the freezer. I made too much pasta after an Italian night, and just fried the cooked, refrigerated spaghetti in some sesame oil, added garlic, left-over veggies and some rice wine. I also stirred in some leftover barbecue sauce I had made.The sweet and sour pork recipe, with pineapple and green pepper, came from my old reliable Betty Crocker.

If you would like any of these recipes, I will begin to post them.  It's little things like this that keep us feasting like a king (and queen) on very little money.






No comments:

Post a Comment